Media Coverage: AWEI 2013 Awards
Click here: Same Same Coverage
Click here: Gay News Network Coverage
Media Release: Top Employers for LGBTI Employees 2013
Click here to download the media release for Awards 2013. Published 17 May 2013.
ACCENTURE AUSTRALIA TOPS LIST OF LGBTI-FRIENDLY AUSSIE EMPLOYERS
Accenture Australia has been named Australia’s Employer of the Year for 2013 at a special event recognising workplace support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people.
The Australian arm of the global professional services organisation topped a list of 10 organisations which were recognised today at a special luncheon in Sydney organised by Pride in Diversity, Australia’s first and only national employer support program for the inclusion of LGBTI people in the workplace.
The awards were determined using Pride In Diversity's Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI), a free service provided annually by Pride In Diversity that evaluates and benchmarks LGBTI inclusiveness in Australian workplaces.
The 2013 Top Ten Australian employers for LGBTI people are (in ranked order) Accenture Australia, PwC, Goldman Sachs, KPMG, IBM Australia, Chevron Australia, Curtin University, Westpac Group, The University of Western Australia and Lend Lease.
Other awards at the luncheon included: Employer of the Year (Accenture); LGBTI Employee Network of the Year (BFS assorts – Macquarie Banking & Financial Services Group); Highest Ranking University (Curtin University); Highest Ranking Public Sector Organisation (Australian Federal Police); and Achievement Award for Most Improved (National Australia Bank).
New awards introduced for the first time this year included: Regional/Rural Award for LGBTI Workplace Inclusion (Northern Rivers Social Development Council); Small Employer Award for LGBTI Workplace Inclusion (Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia); Not-for-Profit/Charity Award for LGBTI Workplace Inclusion (UnitingCare Ageing NSW/ACT); and individual LGBTI Workplace Inclusion Champion Awards which went to Dade Bailey from Commonwealth Bank and Dean Field from Westpac Group.
Pride In Diversity Program Director Dawn Hough says more and more organisations are engaging with the annual awards. “Submissions this year were up by 65% and over 3000 employees took part in the process,” Ms Hough says. “This has made gaining entry to the Top Ten a much more difficult process which shows that organisations throughout Australia are taking very seriously their work in this area and that LGBTI inclusion within Australian workplaces is on the rise and is fast becoming a differentiator in the workplace diversity agenda.”
Speakers at the sold-out event at the Ivy Ballroom in Sydney included Pride In Diversity patron the Hon. Michael Kirby, AFL anti-homophobia campaigner Jason Ball and Master of Ceremonies Bob Downe.
Ms Hough says the luncheon and awards, which take place every year on the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia on May 17, provide a valuable platform for organisations to highlight the quality of their LGBTI workplace diversity practices as well as provide a national benchmark on what organisations are doing in this space.
“Pride In Diversity congratulates all the organisations recognised today on their significant achievement and for showing great leadership in the area of diversity and inclusion,” Ms Hough says.
JOIN our AWEI Mailing List
Be kept up to date with all information pre and post AWEI by joining our AWEI mailing list. You will receive tips and deadline reminders prior to the AWEI and all post AWEI press releases and media.
Click here to sign up.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A MEMBER OF PRIDE IN DIVERSITY TO SUBMIT FOR THE AUSTRALIAN WORKPLACE EQUALITY INDEX.
2012/2013 AWEI documents now available
The Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) is Australia's definitive national benchmark on LGBT workplace inclusion. By participating in the AWEI, your organisation will receive an overall score, high level feedback on your submission and on request, comprehensive analysis of your submission with comparative data against Top 10 employers, your sector and in some cases industry (free to members, preparation and presentation fee for non-members). All participating organisations will also receive a copy of the annual benchmarking publication for further analysis/comparison. Your AWEI score can be used as an external measure of progress annually by an external body Pride in Diversity, Australia's leading employer support program for all aspects of LGBTI workplace inclusion.
Participation in the AWEI is free. You do not need to be a Pride in Diversity Member to participate.
The 2012/2013 index assesses work prior to (in terms of policy and practice) but predominately completed within the 2012 calendar year. The awards will be presented at the Ivy Room, Sydney May 17, 2013. Submissions close Friday March 29, 2013 5pm AEST (Good Friday).
This 2012/2013 AWEI acknowledges excellence via the following awards:
- Employer of the Year (ranked No. 1 in Top 10 Employers)
- Top 10 Employers for LGBT employees
- Highest ranking public or private sector (depending on Employer of the Year)
- Highest ranking university (minimum entries required)
- Achievement Award for Most Improved Employer
- LGBT Employee Network of the Year
- LGBT Diversity Champion
- Small business awards for less than 50 employees (categories Not-for-Profit/Charity*, Small Business, Regional/Rural, Independent Franchise)
* Not for Profit Award may be selected from small/large employer submissions.
AWEI SUBMISSION DOCUMENTS 2012/2013
Should you have any difficulty downloading these documents, or be unsure as to which documents to download, please contact Pride in Diversity on (02) 9206.2136.
AWEI SUBMISSION DOCUMENTS (More than 50 employees)
- Click here to download 2012/2013 AWEI Submission Document (50 or more employees)
- Click here to download the 2012/2013 Participation Guide (to be read in conjunction with submission document)
AWEI SMALL EMPLOYER SUBMISSION DOCUMENTS (50 or Less than 50 employees)
- Click here to download 2012/2013 AWEI Submission Document (50 or less employees)
AWEI LGBT DIVERSITY CHAMPION NOMINATION
- Click here to download 2012/2013 AWEI nomination form for LGBT Diversity Champion
AWEI OPTIONAL EMPLOYEE SURVEY
- Click here to go to the AWEI optional Employee survey page (now open)
Participation in the AWEI will:
- Enable you to contribute to the only Australian, national benchmark that focuses exclusively on LGBT inclusion initiatives
- Provide you with external, objective feedback on your initiatives, strengths and areas of growth by which you can gauge current and future success
- Enable you to benchmark your inclusion initiatives against the public sector, private sector and Top 10 employers
- Enable you to gauge this year’s progress, or next year’s progress based on your overall percentage score
- Provide you with hard copy publication of the 2012/2013 benchmark publication
- Provide you with a certificate of participation and transcript of your overall percentage and section breakdown score for your records
- Provide participating organisations with a 7% discount on individual tickets (or 5% discount on Corporate Tables) at the Annual Business Luncheon and Awards Celebration on May 17 (International Day against Homophobia)
In addition to the above, full members of Pride in Diversity will receive :
- Comprehensive analysis of your feedback, section by section incorporating a formal presentation by Pride in Diversity to your key internal stakeholders (avail.for purchase by non-members)
- 5 copies of the Benchmark Publication (in total) plus a soft-copy for distribution and upload
- Full strategy support for all aspects of LGBT inclusion throughout your membership year
For more information please contact Dawn Hough on (02) 9206.2136
2012 AWEI Benchmarking Publication now available
Click here to download the 2012 AWEI Benchmarking Publication. Please feel free to distubute this widely.
Click here to download media release as to AWEI 2012 findings.
For work completed within the 2011 Calendar Year.
Results of the 2012 Australian Workplace Equality Index were announced at the Annual Pride in Diversity Business Luncheon and Awards Celebration at the prestigious Ivy Room in Sydney on May 17, International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia.
Over 240 guests attended the Awards Luncheon enjoying a stunning 3 course meal during which they were treated to engaging speeches by academy award nominated Australian actress Jacki Weaver and Pride in Diversity Patron, the Hon. Michael Kirby.
The Luncheon acknowledged outstanding achievements by organisations in LGBT workplace inclusion with the following awards:
Employer of the Year : Ranked No. 1 in the Index : PricewaterhouseCoopers
2nd Ranking: KPMG
3rd Ranking: IBM
4th Ranking: Accenture
5th Ranking: Goldman Sachs
6th Ranking: Lend Lease
Joint 7th Ranking and Joint Highest Ranking Public Sector Employer:
Macquarie University and University of Western Australia
9th Ranking: Australian Federal Police
10th Ranking: Chevron
LGBT Employee Network Group of the Year : GLEE @ PwC
ACHIEVEMENT AWARD for most improved employer: Deutsche Bank
For more information on the Index, please contact Program Director, Dawn Hough on (02) 9206.2136 or email email@example.com
TOP 10 EMPLOYERS 2012 AWEI : Australian Benchmarking Publication
The 2012 AWEI Benchmarking publication will be available shortly.
TOP 10 EMPLOYERS 2011 AWEI : Australian Benchmarking Publication
We are pleased to announce Australia's first LGBT Workplace Inclusion AWEI Benchmarking publication featuring benchmarking data across all AWEI Submissions and examples of good practice from our 2010 Top 10 Employers (awarded 2011)